Skip to main content

James Grebe Collection

 Collection
Identifier: AOIAL-ATOC-RG0012
The collection includes ephemera and visual materials from the Ambassador Theatre, which operated in St. Louis, Missouri, from 1926-1997. It includes 5 glass slides, 3 buttons, and 2 catalogs of glass slides.

Dates

  • circa 1930

Language of Materials

English

Extent

0.50 cubic feet

Administrative History:

James Grebe is a piano technician and tuner in St. Louis, Missouri. He was a piano technician apprentice at Aeolian Company of Missouri, which later became Ludwig-Aeolian. In 1972, he became an independent piano technician. Grebe is also an amateur historian who writes articles on pianos, organs, and historic theatres.

The Ambassador Theatre was a movie palace theater in St. Louis, Missouri, which operated from 1926-1997. It stood on the northwest corner of Locust and Seventh streets. The theatre was built by the Skouras Brothers Enterprises, a successful movie theatre chain from 1914 to the 1950s.

Arrangement of Materials:

The collection is arranged in one box which contains the effect catalogs and pins. The glass slides are stored with like items in the AOIAL stacks.

Custodial History:

Grebe acquired items from ATOS and STLOS member Bernard Nordmann.

Acquisition Information:

Donation

Appraisal Information:

Condition: fair
Title
Guide to the James Grebe Collection AOIAL.ATOC.RG0012
Author
Finding Aid Authors: Nicole Umayam.

Repository Details

Part of the The American Organ Institute Archives and Library Repository

Contact:
2101 W. Tecumseh Rd
Suite C
Norman Oklahoma 73069 United States
405-325-7829